Thursday, January 24, 2013

Literacy


Today at the school's Parent-Teacher meeting, the Director talked about literacy.ONe point she stressed was that most parents start introducing literacy by reading to their children. It is a great bonding time and therefore a great motivator for the kids to read more (and enjoy time with mom or dad). 
I can't agree more. Almost every night, Little Guy would grab a book, climb onto the love seat with me, stuff himself in the little crack between Twilight (our dog) and I, and say, "Mommy read!! SNUGGLE!" It always makes me feel quite good. 
Incidentally, I am reading a lot lately and my work-in-progress is a book called "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". Only started so I have no verdict just yet, but it is written in the form of collection of letters written from a teenage boy to his "Dear Friend" (someone I have not yet know who it is.) In the story, it mentioned his mother gave him some books she used to like when she was her age. Perhaps I should do it like Harper Reed (https://harperreed.org/books) and keeps a tally of the books that I liked and Coltrane can later share. 
Just a thought. 
Anything that makes my little boy learn to enjoy and love books would be a delight to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment