Saturday, March 5, 2011

Blessed

Today, I got my major dose of reality check.

I was searching for formulas and I came across this blog site: http://wwwourunexpectedjourney.blogspot.com/

At first I was just reading without much thought. I mean, it was just a blog site of a mom of three. Then, I realized it's a mom of a Down Syndrome baby boy.

I always have a soft spot in my heart for people with DS, and their families.

From a young age of a few months until I was 4, I had a nanny across the street from my house. Every day I would go over to her house while my parents go to work. She was my favorite nanny and I am pretty sure I was her favorite baby too. She, has a daughter with DS. Her name means "beautiful", and she is truly a very sweet and beautiful girl (and now lady). She was always very sweet to me, and she "protects" me when her brothers teased me. SHe was an older sister I never had.

Last year, they came to my wedding banquet in Taiwan. It meant a lot to me.

A year ago when I was pregnant with CC and was going through all the genetic testing, I knew I would never be able to keep the baby if he were to have DS. Not because of any prejudice, but because I didn't think (and still don't) I am strong enough to raise a baby so special. I do have full respect for any parents who choose to take on that challenge in life.

Amidst all the complains about how CC is not sleeping through the night still at 5.5 months and how he posed such a challenge of taking bottles, today, I had a hard case of reality check. If those are the only "issues" we're having with CC, we are truly blessed. Life could be a lot more challenging and there are people smiling and marching forward, even with those challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment