Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sixth Month as a Mom

Happy 6 months birthday to CC!!

I’m not sure why, but back when CC was younger and I was struggling with CC’s fussiness, I’ve always told myself, “It’ll be a lot better when he gets to be 6 months!” Probably because I was so looking forward to a baby who has strong enough neck control and can also interact with me. Now at 6 month-old, CC is way more than just “better”!

My little guy has the cutest smile in the whole world. With his big brown eyes and puffy cheeks, he looks more like a cartoon monkey than a human baby! Did I say I think he’s the cutest baby in the world?!

Six months, marks a tremendous milestone for everyone in this family.

Feeding
Yes, our favorite topic. So after the battle of the bottles in the last two months, he is now happily taking bottle at daycare and at home. But as 6 mo looms around the corner, we decided to break him into formula and solids at 5.5 month. We first started with the popular Similac fussiness and gassy formula. Unfortunately, it makes him more gassy! Not only that, it smells and taste like rotten fish! Who would want to drink that?! Not me, and certainly not Mr. CC! Instead of giving him 3 4-oz bottles of breastmilk daily for daycare, I made 3 bottles of 1:3 formula:breastmilk. So instead of drinking all 12oz, he ended up drinking only 9oz! Well, I might as well just give him 9oz of pure breastmilk then! So that was a defeat. What’s worse is, since we mix formula with breastmilk, we can no longer keep the breastmilk! Very wasteful. So we went and search for another formula. Well, we heard Enfamil is even worse tasting, but Gerber’s Good Start is decent. So we went and bought 8 tiny glasses of Good Start, and did a tasting testing ourselves first.  Hmm…actually decent enough that I would drink it! However, Mr. CC somehow still prefers his breastmilk, so we struggled a little more. Finally, I decided to give him one bottle of pure formula early in the morning. If he drinks it, good. If not, he’ll be hungry enough to drink the 9oz of breastmilk in the later meals. No verdict yet, but at least we won’t be wasting breastmilk!

So that’s the story of formula. I still hope to migrate to not pumping at all during work hours.

Next, the story of solids. We purchased Earth’s Best Whole Grain Rice Cereal with Apple. The first try I mixed it with cold breastmilk from the fridge and it ended with a disastrous puke. But every baby love cereal!! Well, not Mr. CC…until the second try, when we really warmed up the sweet formula. This time, he was all chilled and laid back, sitting on his lamb chair, opening his mouth when the spoon is near, like the King of Persia! The next few tries are not exactly so successful, but definitely better than formula.

School Activities
I never thought someone so tiny has so much to do at school! In the 2 months in school/daycare, CC has already made some incredible art works! He finger painted his brother Twilight, made some cutsie foot prints, and foot mold!

No comments:

Post a Comment